Six Flags Great Adventure will dominate as the king of chaos in 2016 when the world’s largest theme park debuts the 14th and most unique scream machine in its history, Total Mayhem.
After being lifted straight up a 12-story, 90-degree hill, this 4-D, free-fly coaster will wreak havoc as riders flip head-over-heels at least six times along the weightless journey. Thrill seekers will experience exhilarating leaps and dives along a horizontal plane, along with unexpected drops as they tumble from one level to the next. The wing seats amp up the pandemonium since riders will experience all of this chaos with no track above or below – just the sky, ground and adjacent Great Lake churning around them.
“We are thrilled to unveil one of the newest concepts in roller coaster engineering with Total Mayhem,” said Park President John Fitzgerald. “Six Flags Great Adventure’s world-renowned coaster collection will expand into the realm of insanity – or spinsanity – with this new, vertical coaster that delivers gravity-defying somersaults with utter unpredictability. It is the perfect addition to our dynamic line-up of award-winning roller coasters because this ride delivers next generation, cutting-edge thrills.”
The unique design of Total Mayhem features:
- Massive, imposing, floating and twisting I-box track frame in a unique two-tone design
- One-of-a-kind onboard magnetic technology featuring smooth head-over-heels free-fly flips providing guests the feeling of weightlessness as they soar outside the confines of a traditional track
- 4-D wing vehicles that seat up to 8 per vehicle with a total of 5 vehicles
- Face-off seats that allow riders to face each other as they tumble head over heels
- A 120-foot-tall, 90-degree hill that is ascended by an elevator-style, chain link lift
- Two beyond 90-degree “raven” drops giving the sensation of free-falling
Total Mayhem is expected to ensue spring 2016, and joins the ranks of legendary roller coasters like El Toro, Kingda Ka, Nitro and 2015’s El Diablo.